THE BARR FAMILY
The Barr Family lived around Wigtownshire and the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright areas, particularly Elrig Village and Kirkcudbright. Walter Barr (1) where this tree starts was my great great great great grandfather
Walter Barr (1) married Elizabeth Graham (2) (no further details except that they had a son Walter (3)born in Ireland
Walter Barr (3), a dairyman, married Mary McDowall (4) and they had eight children, Elizabeth (4a) born c 1818, Margaret (5) born 1821, Daniel (5a), Walter (6) born 1826, Rebecca (7) born 1829, Isabella (8) born 1831 (probably all born in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright), Janet Barr (8a) born1836 and Annie (8b) born 1839.
Walter Barr (6) born in 1826, married Agnes Clave (9) and they had eight children Alexander Clave (10) in 1860 Mochrum, Walter 1862 in Cheshire, Robert (11) 1864 in Cheshire, John (12) 1866 in Cheshire, James H (13) 1870 in Huyton Liverpool, William (14) 1872 in Lancashire, Mary J (15) 1873 in Lancashire and Elizabeth Ann (16) 1877 in Lancashire.
Rebecca Barr (7) born 24 May 1829, at Wholehouse Kirkcudbright, married James Hannah (later changed the family name to Hannay) in 1858 at Creetown in the Parish of Kirkmabreck and they had eight children Mary Hannah (later Hannay) born 1859 in the Parish of Kirkmabreck, Marion Lambie Hannay born 1861 in the Parish of Inch, Thomas Hannay born 1863 in the Parish of Inch, James Hannay born 1865 in the Parish of Stoneykirk, Mathew Hannay born 1866 in the Parish of Stoneykirk, Jane Hannay born 1869 in the Parish of Kirkmaiden, Isabella Hannay born 1870 in the Parish of Kirkmaiden and John Hannay born 1874 in the Parish of Ballantrae. Rebecca died 6 March 1883 at Dalvaddie Stoneykirk. James Hannah was a dairyman and would have worked on a number of different farms during his lifetime.
Isabella (8) married John McKinna (20) from Gatehouse of Fleet in 1858 at Crossmichael and had six children Jane McKinna (21) born in Drummore , John McKinna (22) born in Drummore, Walter McKinna (23) born in Bluff New Zealand, Peter McKinna (24) born in Gore New Zealand, and Emily McKinna (25) born in Gore New Zealand and a baby which died at birth in 1869. Isabella (8)died giving birth to the baby in 1869
Alexander Clave Barr (10) married Elizabeth McMaster (26) in 1884 Mochrum and they had a daughter Mary 1886, Walter 1888, Agnes 1891 (27), Alexander 1893 and Peter 1898. Remarried Annie Divans after death of Elizabeth McMaster. Two sons died in World War 1 (The Great War) Alexander at Ypres in 1915 and Walter in May 1917. Another son Peter seved as a Gunner in the Royal Naval Reserve in the same war and was based at Devonport - he died in Elrig at the age of 19.
Walter Barr - (born 1862 in Oxton on the Wirral in Cheshire) - son of Walter Barr and Agnes Clave, married Margaret Forshaw (born 1858) and they four children; Agnes Jessie Barr 1892-1983 who married Robert Sharratt, Walter Forshaw Barr (born 1894) who married Mary Byrne, George Barr 1896 - 1917 and Margaret Mary Barr (born 1902) who married James Rogers (1901 - 1931)
DETAILS OF INDIVIDUALS
1) Walter Barr - Farm Labourer born in Ireland, no details other than married Elizabeth Graham and had a son Walter also born in Ireland (no dates)
(2) Elizabeth Graham - married Walter Barr (1) and had a son Walter(3) born 1796 in Ireland - no further details
(3) Walter Barr - born 1796 in Ireland, married Mary McDowall (4) and had five children Margaret(5) born 1821 (probably Kirkcudbright), Walter (6) born 1826 (probably Kirkcudbright), Rebecca (7) born 1829 (probably Kirkcudbrught) and Isabella (8) born 1831 in Kirkcudbright, Anne born 1839. Walter died 1904
(4) Mary McDowall - married Walter Barr (3) and had four children (see Details under Walter Barr (3), died from 'Old Age' at age 80 on 2nd February 1889 in Elrig Village
(4a) Elizabeth Barr - born c 1818 in Ireland, had child Robert Walter Barr whilst unmarried, later married Peter McMillan and had five children John born c 1851, James born c 1854, Robert born c 1856, William born c 1859 and Walter born c 1861- died in Elrig Villlage on 16 May 1880 age 69 from Apoplexy
5) Margaret Barr - born 1821 (probably Kirkcudbright) - no further details
5a) Daniel Barr - born 2 October 1823. Appears on the Kirkcudbright Parish Records. No record of his death in the Kirkcudbright Parish Records and he doesn't appear in the 1841 Census Return with the rest of the family. No other records have been found to date.
(6) Walter Barr - born 2nd July 1826 in Scotland, married Agnes Clave (7) and had seven children (see details above) a son Alexander Clave (8) 25th July 1860 Mochrum (probably Eldrig), died 26th December 1904 in Pinnington Place Huyton Lancashire
(7) Rebecca Barr - born 1829 Wholehouse Kirkcudbright. New data to be added - see above.
(8) Isabella Barr - born 1831 Kirkcudbright, married John McKinna in 1858 and had 6 children, Jane (21) born 1860 Drummore, John (22) born 1862 Drummore, Walter (23) born 1863 in Bluff New Zealand, Peter (24) born 1865 in Gore New Zealand, Emily (25) born 1867 in Gore New Zealand, baby died at birth 1869. Isabella Barr died in 1869 giving birth to the baby
(8a) Janet Barr - born circa 1836. Married James Jamieson and they had three children Ann Jamieson born 1856, William Jamieson born 1860 and Janet Jamieson born 1863.
(8b) Annie Barr - born circa 1838 in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright. She married Alexander Grier and had three children; Alexander born 1862, Emma born 1866 and Annabella birth date not known. She later married John McCubbin and then James Higgins. She died, age 85, at 5.45am age 85 on 11 April 1925 at Port William from cancer of the tongue and cardiac dropsy having outlived all three husbands.
(9) Agnes Clave - born 1832 in Scotland, married Walter Barr (6) and had seven children (see details above), died 12th December 1915 in Pinnington Place Huyton Lancashire -
(10) Alexander Clave Barr - Master Joiner born 25th July 1860 in Elrig, married Elizabeth McMaster (26) 21st November 1884 Mochrum and had a daughter Agnes (27) 14 July 1891 Mochrum (Elrig). Remarried Annie Divans. Alexander Clave Barr died 12th February 1940.
(11) Robert Barr - born 1864 in Cheshire, married Kate Bradbury (born 1864 Cheshire. They had two children Albert Barr (11a) (born 1891 St Helens Lancs, died 1952 Victoria British Columbia Canada) and Eva Barr (11b) (born 1888 Victoria British Columbia, died 1978 British Columbia
(11a) Albert Barr (1891 - 1952) married Lillian Preece (1892 - 1987) at St Marks Church Victoria in 1915. They had two children, Moreen Lillian Jones (8.10.22 - 19.10.22) and a son born 1925 (still living). Note: Albert Barr later became known as Albert Barr Jones when Kate Bradbury remarried George Jones.
(11b) Eva Barr (1888 - 1912) married Thomas Stephen Mills. They had four children, Lawrence Hewson Mills (1913 Victoria - 1997 Victoria), Alberta Doreen Mills (born 1916), Ronald Stephenson Mills (1918 - 1994) and Phyllis Bradbury Mills (1921 Victoria -1985). Note: Eva Barr later became known as Eva Barr Jones when Kate Bradbury remarried George Jones.
(12) John Barr - born 1866 in Cheshire - no further details
(13) James Barr- born 1870 in Huyton Liverpool - no further details
(14) William Barr- born 1872 in Lancashire - no further details
(15) Mary Barr- born 1873 in Lancashire - no further details
(16) Elizabeth Ann Barr- born 1877 in Lancashire - no further details
(17) unused at present
(18) unused at present
(19) unused at present
(20) John McKinna - born 1837 Gatehouse of Fleet, married Isabella Barr (8) and had 6 children (see details under Isabella Barr (8)). After Isabella's death in 1869 he married Elizabeth Clarke and had six more children (no details), died 1900 Gore New Zealand
PHOTOGRAPH OF JOHN McKINNA (20) and JANE McKINNA (21)
(21) Jane McKinna - born 1860 Drummore, died 1948 in Gore New Zealand. Jane married John MacKay (born in Sutherland Scotland) and they had 8 children;
- Isabella MacKay (1880-1904)
- John MacKay (1881-1917 killed during WW1 in France)
- Alexander MacKay (1883-1964)
- Helen (Nellie) MacKay (1884-1918)
- William MacKay (1886-1954) who married his cousin Isabella Barr McKinna - they had three children;
William Peter MacKay (1915-1965), Jean MacKay (died at birth 1917) and Douglas MacKay (1918-`967) The Barr Family lived around Wigtownshire and the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright areas, particularly Elrig Village and Kirkcudbright. Walter Barr (1) where this tree starts was my great great great great grandfather
22) John McKinna - born 1862 Drummore, died 1905 in Gore New Zealand. John married Edith Annie Cross and they had a daughter Stella Barr McKinna
PHOTOGRAPH OF JOHN McKINNA
(23) Walter McKinna - born 1863 Bluff New Zealand - no further details
(24) Peter McKinna - born 1865 Gore New Zeaand, died 1921. Peter married Mary Ann Laurie Cleland in 1887 and they had 9 children; James Douglas McKinna born 1889, Isabella Barr McKinna born 1891, Agnes (Nessie) McKinna, May McKinna who died in 1919 as a result of a flu epidemic, Gordon McKinna, Emily Victoria McKinna, Peter McKinna, Mina McKinna (1906-1972) and Jean McKinna who died in 2004
(25) Emily McKinna - born 1867 Gore New Zealand married Walter Craig
(26) Elizabeth McMaster - born at 3.30am on 4th December 1865 at Port William, Parish of Mochrum, married Alexander Clave Barr (10) 21st November 1884 Mochrum and had a daughter Agnes (27) 14 July 1891 Mochrum (Eldrig), died of pneumonia at 11.45pm on 2nd June 1902. Her parents Peter McMaster (28) and Mary Ann McCulloch (29) married 31st March 1863 in Liverpool and both died before 1884
(27)) Agnes Barr, born at 6.15am on 14 July 1891 at Elrig Village, married Samuel Stewart. Further detail to be found on the STEWART FAMILY page starting at Agnes Barr (46)
(28) Peter McMaster - Saddler married Mary Ann McCulloch (29)31st March 1863 in Liverpool, had a daughter Elizabeth McMaster (26) 1865 Mochrum), died probably 1869
(29) Mary Ann McCulloch - married Peter McMaster (28) 31st March 1863 in Liverpool, had a daughter Elizabeth McMaster (26) 1865 Mochrum, died before 1884